Saturday, November 3, 2007

Winter is coming!

Well, it appears that the time is upon us to install the winter tires. The weather forecast looks like we will have cold enough temperatures so that the winter tires won't tear themselves to bits on the highway. It was a beautiful day for the project, sunny and cool while I was out, not as windy as it has been all week. Dunlop Wintersport D3 Run Flat winter performance tires for the Mini on R90 MINI wheels; Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 studless winter tires on steel wheels for the Fit. Keto and Lupine the Golden Retrievers provided moral support.

The MINI is so short and has such a stiff suspension that the single jacking point lifts up the whole side. My old floor jack was all steel construction and the wheels have rusted to the extent that they don't roll anymore - it was a really heavy unit and dragging it around the gravel driveway left a lot to be desired. Mark Strohm, a local foreign car mechanic recommended an aluminum jack for any of us getting up in age - and am I glad I followed his advice. It feels like the aluminum jack is about 50% of the weight of the old jack.

I knew the summer tires I had on the MINI had zero "siping" for snow and ice handling, but I was surprised that the so called "all season" tires on the FIT had so little siping and very little tread depth or design for snow and ice performance. I'm glad that we are going with the dedicated winter tires for the FIT along with the MINI. Only one mishap, I ended up breaking one of the wheel covers for the FIT, I have an e-mail in to Tirerack to see if I can buy just one replacement.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: