Monday, November 19, 2007

No Knead Bread

For those of you that haven't seen this, about a year ago Mark Bittman in the NYT food section wrote an article about a "new" bread making technique he called No-knead bread. http://http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/ Just Google bittman no-knead bread and you will find it in referenced in all sorts of food articles. It turns out homemade bread like you can not believe. Crispy crust, nice holey interior perfect for toast with butter. As most simple breads it doesn't keep for long periods, so I slice it and freeze what I can't eat on the day I make it right away.
The concept is simple, start with flour water salt and a little bit of yeast, mix and let sit overnight (or longer), then put it inside a preheated hot oven and cast iron or ceramic pot to hold in the steam and bake. Anyway, that was one of the weekend projects.
I wish I had some photos of the waves coming into Stoney Point Saturday evening - big splashing waves from the NE. There were some surfers out too and I saw at least one take a nice long ride (for Lake Superior anyway). It was just great to stand our among the wind and the spray and watch the power of the lake for a while. A shout out to Mattman who celebrated a birthday on Sunday - I don't actually know how old he is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting up to 40 or so.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: