Sunday, November 15, 2009

Vegatable canning

I really didn't blog the canning and food preservation through the fall, but I can report on a number of the successes.

The frozen vegetables are great, we did cabbage, carrots, peppers, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, some home grown, some not.

The Ball Zesty Salsa made with Cherry Bomb peppers is wonderful, could have used a double batch as we are down 3 pints already (of 10).

The dill relish is good, but we aren't using it so fast. Probably true of all the pickled cucs.

The chow chow and Singaphore chili sauce are fine, the chili sure could have been hotter. I suppose it's the whole northern pepper growing thing. I had thought perhaps the cherry bombs were not hot enough, but they are rated quite hot on Johnny's heat scale. Searching for

Haven't tried the Cherry bombs in oil, tomatoes.

We did start canning the saurkraut today, it's been fermenting since the begining of September in the basement, I thought it was done , but when I removed the lid I could still see bubbles.

No comments: